12.7K views

I would like to warn anyone who cares to listen about this profile http://loveme.com/women/info124763.htm In early August of 2012 I purchased a virtual email address from A Foreign Affair to send an introduction letter to the lady featured in this profile. I was pleasantly surprised when approximately two hours after sending my introduction letter I received an email announcement there was a letter in my profile inbox on AFA and basically I needed to login and pay $9.99 to open and read this letter. I was a bit disturbed by this because my main reason for purchasing the lady's virtual email address was to send and receive letters from her via our private email account and not having to pay the $10 cost of receiving and sending each letter in addition to the $3.50 per attached photo. However, I decided not to make an issue about this because I was really attracted to this lady's profile; I had selected her after scrolling for several hours through approximately 1500 online profiles until my eyeballs hurt, therefore when I received a letter from her expressing an interest, all my concerns about having to pay in order to open her letter disappeared.

In this first letter she asked about four questions one of which was "Why was I looking for a foreign wife L?" I could have asked why was she looking for a foreign husband? But I was polite, I wrote back immediately and told her that I will take a few days to prepare thoughtful answers to all her questions. I had received her letter on a Saturday and by Monday evening I had written and sent her a 2-½-page letter with at least four photos. The cost was $40+.

Initially, there was a reasonable lapse of time between sending and receiving responses that appeared to take into account the time for translation and forwarding of the letters but over the next two weeks after the first three exchanges of letters the delivery pace increased very rapidly. It seemed like I was receiving a reply within three hours after sending a letter and the responses were very generic, weak and always included two photos of the lady. There were no description or comments accompanying the photos. I guess I was supposed to be charmed by her beauty and no words were necessary. For example, I would send descriptive letters about my work, pastime and daily activities to reassure the lady that I was genuinely interested in revealing myself to her and not just a guy playing games on the Internet. The responses I received would consist of a few sentences asking more questions. There was hardly any substantial information coming from the lady. After 37 days of correspondence and $230, the only thing I learned about this lady is that she has wonderful parents; she never mentioned their names. A sister with a husband and baby living in Kiev, and that she was a cosmetology nurse who thinks beauty will save the world. I have never heard of a cosmetology nurse; perhaps they do exist and I will Google the subject.

After about twenty days of this nonsense of me answering her questions, revealing my personal life and not getting any meaningful communication I began to doubt the validity of this profile. Finally when she sent me a letter inquiring about my fears (as if she were a psychologist) My response was that I feared being the victim of an internet dating scam operation because although I had purchased her virtual email address I had continued to receive letters via the Loveme.com site rather than my personal email and was paying $10 each time I send and received mail. The motive of scamming to generate profit was clearly evident by the rapid responses, meaningless photo attachments and the lack of information sharing with regards to the lady. The letters tended to sound as if a male wrote them, which was a bit troubling but I thought it was reasonable to attribute this to the gender of the translator.

I expressed my concerns about scamming to the lady in a polite and non-judgmental way. I explained how photos can be misappropriated by anyone and used to create profiles without the real owner of the photos being aware of their illicit use. I expressed my interest in getting to know her but due to the high cost of our correspondence and my plans to visit her within 90 days, that it was important to resolve my doubts about the validity of the profile with which I was communicating (I was literally communicating with only a photo. There was no first name, address, phone or email. There was absolutely no transparency. It was like being blind) the purpose of the validation was to quickly establish a relationship built on trust and confidence before we are months into the relationship.

The lady responded with outrage to what I considered to be a reasonable and common sense request in light of all the scamming that is occurring on international dating sites. The response was "Are you kidding?" which sounded too American for me and made me suspect the letter writer could be at AFA offices in Arizona. She told me how hurt, offended and disappointed she felt. I felt somewhat guilty for hurting her feelings but I thought it was important to resolve this issue because my feelings of distrust were too strong by now and the relationship was unlikely to develop and prosper with such feelings of insecurity.

She had sent me a series of photos that were taken so many years apart that it was difficult to recognized her in the series because each photo appeared to be a different woman, although with careful examination, facial features such as the eyebrows and lips appeared to be the same. I suggested she simply send me a week old photo wearing a set of large earrings that were featured in several of the photos and this would be sufficient proof that she is capable of reproducing herself "graphically speaking" and not just someone with a collection of model photos with no knowledge or access to the original owner. To avoid appearing unilaterally demanding or overbearing, I also offered to provide whatever proofs she may require to settle any doubts she might have about me. Her response was that she couldn't produce the earrings because they were loaned to her years ago when she worked as a model. I tried to figure out a simple and easy way, short of flying to Ukraine myself to verify whether this lady I am corresponding with was not just a stack of photos. After about a day it occurred to me to contact some one in her city and ask her if she would be willing to meet this person at a time and place of her choosing just so they could see her and simply report back "Hey guy, I saw the lady and she looks like the lady in the photos you sent us." I thought this was very simple; after all, if she ever wanted her friends in the States to check me out, I would be falling all over myself in my eagerness to meet them.

I contacted a married couple that was willing to meet with the lady at any local café or public gathering place. I sent the lady a letter explaining the arrangement and got no response. Perhaps the lady truly resented my efforts to validate her identity and did not wish to participate in this effort. Her reasons are open to speculation but I saw this as a small effort to work through a problem in an unconventional dating scenario. I personally would have no qualms in doing it if the roles were reversed. Perhaps readers of this article may offer different perspectives as to why this would not be an appropriate undertaking. My personal feelings are the person in this profile and the letter writer are not the same people. The letter writer is in the background using the profile to manipulate others but is unable to appear as a person or update the profile photos with anything new. My last contact with this profile was today when I received a letter in which she/him claimed to have smiled at my *** efforts to check. I was not *** enough to send a $10 response so I just deleted all photos and letters that are related to this brief correspondence and get ready to move on. I should feel fine in a couple of weeks.

The husband of the couple I contacted to meet with the lady is a very proficient computer technologist, therefore he was able to conduct a photo search with the lady's profile photos and found an account with 49 of her photos on a Russian social network site http://vk.com/id19955094

It is possible the owner of this account and photos has no role in creating the profile http://loveme.com/women/info124763.htm because her photos are of good quality and are easy to download, it is conceivable that a criminal could have used her photos to create fake profiles with the intention of running a scam.

I must admit that I had been scammed out of $230 in the past 37 days by corresponding with a possibly fake profile. But who was it that scammed me?? Who benefited monetarily from my financial loss? Lets follow my money or (what used to be my money) to find out. According to my Bank of America Statement, my money went

Here to what I believe is the payment processing center of A Foreign Affair offices in Arizona.

08/31/2012 Show additional information for activity type cards -9.99 CHECKCARD #### WORLDWIDE DATA LINK 602-553-8178 AZ... activity type cards status type icon cleared Cleared. Select to mark activity type cards -9.99 CHECKCARD #### WORLDWIDE DATA LINK 602-553-8178 AZ... as reconciled -9.99 1,038.09

John Adams, the public face of AFA can smile and cajole as much as he pleases when promoting his seedy looking romance tour videos, but as far as I am concerned, due to my recent experience and a few others that I had overlooked in the past, he is nothing but a pus-filled-maggot who runs a criminal enterprise that steals from his countrymen. It is quite possible for him to operate a profitable, transparent operation with loyal customers if he would just make a sincere effort. Instead, his business operations acts as an umbrella for an army of scammers both here and abroad that preys on men who are earnestly seeking to satisfy that most natural of human desire of finding love and companionship.

I think the best way to reduce the revenues of scammers and unethical dating sites is not use them at all and travel to the country of your choice on your own. If you are courageous enough to consider being with a woman from a culture that is significantly different from your own, then you should certainly be able to make your own travel arrangements. $1100-1500 should get you a roundtrip ticket to most countries in Eastern Europe, an additional $1500 should be sufficient for lodging and a local interpreter/ tour guide for a week. You can do all this via the Internet and by-pass the riff-off businesses, romance tours etc and have a wonderful vacation to boot. If you don't have this kind of money then you have no business seeking a foreign wife.

I would like to sign this article but I will have to choose the anonymous path due to the unsavory comments directed at one John Adams. My life has been relatively stable and prosperous recently and I wish to keep it that way.

Review about: A Foreign Affair Online Dating.

Had an Experience with A Foreign Affair?

Comments

AFA is a scam operation.Women...especially from Russia and the Ukraine join this site and receive a commission for each guy they can lure into this game.

There is no other way to explain this. If you send a lady your email address...they will continue to write you via the AFA website so you can continue to pay for each letter sent and received. I find it amusing to see ladies from a "poor" country where only 10% of the population own a car...post bathing suit pictures in front of quarter million dollar yachts and palm trees. Western men somehow have this idea that they need to "save" these prostitutes and scammers from poverty...and think these ladies will be forever thankful and submit to their men with total loyalty and never ending blow jobs.

Again...AFA is a scam...100%. You may want to try other small dating agencies that are more trustworthy. There are also other contries like Moldova and Macedonia.

Go there...book a flight...and a room and meet the lady there in person.See how she lives...where she works...meet her family and friends...but stay away from AFA.

I just went through the same thing.not as bad though only 50 dollars for 3 vague letters from the lady.Plus my 3 letters.They said they guarantee satisfaction but they do not 3 phone calls to AFA plus some emails no satisfaction.If I am having problems with letters makes me wonder what happens if I take a tour? 2 of those letters were small talk no answers after the 3rd one i demanded to know from her some answers she gave them and apologised for the first 2 she was busy with work and going to the hospital.That is about what I got out of 50 dollars .I will not keep going on with this.Take my own trip there since i can not trust a tour to work out

This guy explains very well what happens when you contact a "woman" on this dating site. I have written to several, and they all follow that pattern. I have no idea how to contact any of the women in the real profiles, but it certainly won't happen on this site

Henderson, North Carolina, United States #1297122

I too had a bad experience writing to an "interpreter" and not the "real" girl, whose photos on her page were all massively photo-shopped.When "she" sent me pix of her at home, I literally didn't recognize her.

She went from a cover-girl to an almost Frankenstein-looking hulk.

Another girl went from a very pretty face with a tight, shapely figure to a so-so, very ordinary face with bad skin and a chubby figure when she sent me pix. She had been photo-shopped too.

Checkout the YouTubes on this subject.

People who have worked for such organizations blow the whistle on the deceitful and greedy practices they employ.They should be shut down.

Rosetown, Saskatchewan, Canada #1267773

if you read the small print it says that this site is for "entertainment only" this means in the eyes of US courts that they can say and offer anything and nothing is binding because it is all in fun(for them not you). But they said so in the small print and in US courts that is ok.

U seem desperate long *** story , u were scammed and should of known from beginning , u went way to far

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States #1217699

I believe this guy and commend him for speaking his mind. I know of guys who have had success with a reputable company as well as guys who have been duped by the ones who are a perfect example of the greedy pathetic underbelly of humanity.

#1207522

I agreed AFA ( A foreign Affair ) should have refunded your money and banned her profile but you should insisted using video chat like FaceBook however AFA is a good choice if you go on one of the Romance Tours.

I would never join any dating service that charges you to open and send letters as there is to much scam potential in this business model.

Join a pay by month service that offers video chat Cupid media has plenty but Elena's Models and Happier Abroad also follow this model.

Remember if a woman truly interested in you she will want to Video chat as she is curious to see you as well.

you guys don't see the irony? if you have to be rich to "find love" in these scam pits, then there is no love to be found in the first place.

sir, you are the epitome of naivety. In all this time of correspondence with "lovely" lady John Adams, you never thought to do some research into the site? for $35 you could have joined an online chat/date site for a month and learned all the scam angles you needed to know.